Sunday 23 August 2015

Judge for SWWJ John Walter Trophy Short Story Competition


I am delighted to announce that I have been asked by the Society of Women Writers and Journalists to be the judge for this year's John Walter Trophy Short Story Competition.


Let me tell you a little about the SWWJ. It was founded in 1894 by newspaper proprietor Joseph Snell Wood, and is the UK's longest-established society for professional women writers. It has since become an international association affiliated to women's associations worldwide. Victoria Wood is its president and Sir Tim Rice and Simon Brett are among the patrons.

Viv Brown (who writes as Vivien Hampshire and who kindly suggested me as a judge) has been a member for ten years and is on the council. She has written an excellent blogpost about the SWWJ here. She says that the society is always looking to welcome new writers of all ages who might be novelists, journalists, playwrights, poets, article writers and writers of non-fiction books.

It's not the first time that I've judged a short story competition. Last year, the Chiltern Writers Group kindly asked me to judge their annual competition and I enjoyed it so much I was more than happy to say yes to this new request from the SWWJ.

I've already started to think what I shall be looking for once the stories start coming in but my mind is open to any genre, emotion and style. Without giving too much away, I will just say that the winning entries will need to entertain me but also move me in some way - be it through hope, sadness, joyfulness, humour or tragedy. 

Good luck to all the entrants!

In other news, I have had my first response to my #PitchCB submission. You can read last week's updated post here.  

Also, I'm very excited that my new serial, Life at Babcock House, will be starting in the September 5th issue of the The People's Friend. I was thrilled with the response to my first serial, Charlotte's War and am hoping readers will like this one just as much.

Finally, if you'd like to find out more about the SWWJ, the contact details are below:

22 comments:

  1. Wendy, congratulations on being selected as a competition judge again! That's definitely another (admirable) string to your bow. Also thank you for highlighting the SWWJ - I'm seriously thinking of joining, having read Viv Brown's blog post about it (I hadn't heard of it before!). Do you know if you have to be a member of the SWWJ in order to enter the competition? (I suspect you do, as it's appeared in their newsletter). Thanks! Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen and yes you do have to be a member to enter so a very good reason to join!

      Delete
  2. Well done, Wendy. The SWWJ looks like a brilliant organisation. I think there may be a flurry of applications to join!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great feedback from PCB, Wendy. Enjoy the judging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julia and I will - I'm very much looking forward to it.

      Delete
  4. Oh, what an honour, Wendy - enjoy it all! I too have glanced at the SWWJ in the past but never got around to joining. Will have another look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting, Wendy - hope you enjoy being a judge again :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great news, Wendy. It's lovely to hear about all of your successes. What great feedback from the agency, even if at this point in time they weren't able to accept your novel. It does have a lot to do with luck as well as good writing. You'll get there. I've no doubt in my mind. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the judging, Wendy. Looking forward to reading your serial.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, Wendy. Hope you have fun judging the entries for this. Well done on new serial as well! What a great year you're having :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracy. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it continues that way :)

      Delete
  9. Another string to your bow. There's no holding you...I'm delighted to say.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an honour, Wendy - congratulations. And more congrats on the new serial. Delighted to hear of your various successes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susanna - I just hope the readers enjoy it.

      Delete
  11. Well done Wendy! what an honour and it is great hearing of your successes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done Wendy! what an honour and it is great hearing of your successes.

    ReplyDelete