Thursday 11 January 2018

Her Last Lie - Guest Post Amanda Brittany



Today, I'm delighted to welcome Amanda Brittany to my blog. Amanda is a fellow magazine writer and this week her debut novel, Her Last Lie, was published by HQ Digital. What makes this story so wonderful is that all proceeds from the sales will be donated to Cancer Research in memory of her younger sister.

I hope you'll enjoy hearing more about Amanda and her writing in this interview.

You first started your writing life as a women’s magazine writer. How difficult was it to move to something longer?

Hi Wendy. Thank you so much for inviting me to your blog. I think the main difficulty for me, is keeping the faith in a novel for so much longer than you would with a short story.

Women’s magazine fiction is known for being gentle and uplifting. How difficult was it to change genre?

Although I’ve written many gentle, uplifting stories for magazines, and really enjoy writing that kind of story, I have been known to go over to the dark side when writing short stories, and really enjoy writing twisty-turny thrillers for That’s Life! Australia, and Take a Break Fiction Feast. Maybe I was destined to write a psychological thriller. I know plotting short stories in that genre helped me a lot with my novel.

What were you like at school? Would your English teacher be surprised to see that you have become a published author?

If I’m honest, I was a bit of a dreamer at school. My English teacher was actually my favourite teacher, and she always said I had a great imagination, but she would get frustrated that I never applied myself. I think she would be shocked about my book, but I like to think she would be pleased too.

How long did it take you to write your novel?

I wrote the first draft fairly quickly. In six weeks, in fact. But the rewrites and edits took me a lot longer.

I love the cover. How important do you think the cover is to a potential reader?

I’m thrilled with the cover of Her Last Lie –the designer is amazingly talented. I think covers are very important. If they are eye-catching they can really draw the reader in, and also give the reader a good idea of the kind of genre the book is. In fact, I know someone who buys books purely based on the cover – so hopefully I’ve made one sale. J

Tell us something about the main character that will make us want to read more about them.
Six years ago, Isla Johnson survived an attack by a serial killer, and I hope readers will feel for her and the potential trauma she had been through, especially as she is now convinced the killer is out of prison and stalking her. But I also think the reader will feel conflicted by Isla’s present-day behaviour towards her partner the kind and caring Jack.

Are you a pantster of do you plot?

A bit of both, I think. For novels, I have a brief outline of the main plot, and where I want to go, and then I tend to let my characters take me there. I admit, it does mean I occasionally lose my way – characters can be naughty like that – so when I feel myself heading off on a tangent, I stop and reassess my plot and where I’m heading. For short stories, I sometimes have an outline, but often I write a whole story purely based on something I’ve heard someone say.

What have you found to be the most difficult thing about writing a novel?

The hardest thing when writing a novel, in my opinion, is keeping on keeping on, and, as I said earlier, not losing faith in what you are writing. I find the hardest moment is about halfway through, when I suddenly wonder if it’s any good at all. And the other difficulty is the temptation to keep on going over and over the first few chapters until they are perfect, instead of getting the first draft down.

What next for Amanda Brittany?

I love writing short stories, and hope to write more in 2018, but I’m not sure what the future holds for novels. I guess, for now, I’m taking it one step at a time.


Amanda Brittany lives in Hertfordshire with her husband and two dogs. She loves travelling, and visiting Abisko in Sweden inspired her to write 'Her Last Lie'. 

She began writing fiction nine years ago, and has since gained a BA in Literature, a Diploma in Creative Writing, and has had 200 stories and articles published in magazines globally.

When her younger sister became terminally ill, Amanda’s hope was to write a novel where her royalties went to Cancer Research. 'Her Last Lie' is that book, and all of Amanda's royalties for downloads will go to that charity. 'Her Last Lie' is her debut novel.




27 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for inviting me over, Wendy X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re welcomed, Mandy, and I’m very much looking forward to reading your novel.

      Delete
  2. Lots of luck with your novel, Mandy, and I'll look forward to reading more of your stories this year :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s exciting isn’t it, Karen. Thanks for popping over.

      Delete
  3. Interesting to read about another author who has come to novel-writing via short stories. Entirely different crafts but both immensely satisfying for the writer. I wish you many sales, Mandy, for this wonderful cause

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a short story writer who has moved onto writing novels, I also found this fascinating. Thanks for your comment, Natalie.

      Delete
    2. Yes, both are so satisfying in their own way aren't they, Natalie. Thank you for your good wishes. :-)

      Delete
  4. Great post about a brilliant novel! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just started Her Last Lie, Mandy, and I'm hooked already. In fact I'm just off now with a cuppa to curl up with it. Good luck with the sales, such a wonderful cause, and for lots more of your super short stories too. :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her Last Lie is next on my three pile too, Sue.

      Delete
  6. Thank you, Sue. I hope you enjoy it. XX I hope you enjoy it too, Wendy xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm away from home and out of my Amazon zone. But once I get back, I'll grab a cop of your book, Mandy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant, Maria. I’m sure you won’t be disappointed.

      Delete
    2. That's brilliant, Maria. Thank you. X

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on your novel, Amanda.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoyed the interview, Wendy and Amanda! Your novel sounds fascinating, Amanda,and I do love that cover. All the best with all your writing in 2018.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Wendy.

    Congratulations on your new novel Amanda, and a wonderful way to celebrate your sister's memory by doing such a positive thing that will help others in future.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's always interesting to read about authors who have a foot in two camps.

    ReplyDelete