Friday 25 January 2013

Books to Help You With Your Writing

 
I thought that it would be useful to new writers if we could share some of our favourite writing resource books - you know, the ones that you have found really useful (not the ones that sit on your shelf gathering dust!)
 
Let me start you off with mine.
 
 
The Emotion Thesaurus by Angela Ackerman and Becca Puglisi is a must if you are stuck with how to 'show' a character's emotion. Alphabetically ordered, the emotions looked at range from 'adoration' through to 'worry'.The book covers: physical signs, mental responses and internal sensations.      
 
 
NEWS FLASH!
 
I am thrilled to tell you that Becca has kindly agreed to pop over to my blog on Monday and Wednesday of next week for a guest spot. She will be talking about 'Showing Not Telling'. Thanks, Becca - I can't wait. This will truly be words of wisdom from the expert! 


My second choice is one I have mentioned on my blog before.
The Writer's Treasury of Ideas by Linda Lewis was the first writing book I bought. I think it is great for anyone starting out on their short story journey. If you read this, you will never be stuck for ideas again.
 
 

 
 
Next comes this great little book by the prolific short story writer, Della Galton. She certainly knows her stuff and it is a 'straight to the point guide to writing and selling short fiction'. I would say this is another must for new writers wanting to break into the magazine market.
 
 

 
 
 
Finally, my latest buy (also by Della Galton). This wonderful book helps you make the transition from short story to novel. I am hoping that if I read it now, it might spur me on to making a start on something longer. Watch this space.
 
 
Now it's your turn. Any great books you can share?


14 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy--thanks for including us, and for pointing the way to some craft books I didn't know about! (I sort of have an addition to craft books *cough*)

    I am so glad The Emotion Thesaurus helps you! That is music to my ears :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure. It's a great book, Angela.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed Stephen King's On Writing, Nicola Morgan's Write to get Published and How Not to Write a Novel by Newman and Littlemark.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really useful. Thanks for that Patsy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the shout out, Wendy. Can't wait to get to know the people here :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're welcome, Becca. Look forwaed to your guest spot on Monday - all teh way from sunny Florida!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the sound of an emotion thesaurus - must order that one! I really like Jane Wenham- Jones's 'Wannabe a Writer?' :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. I shall have a look at that one.

      Delete
  8. I know most of those, Wendy. I always end up not reading the whole of these books but I like dipping in now and then. I still love Dorothea Brande's old classic 'Becoming a Writer' - published long before modern writers started talking about the psychology of being a writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that Rosemary - the old ones are often the best.

      Delete
  9. A terrific list of books Wendy. Haven't read the first so may try that one - sounds different. Agree about Linda's Treasury, Della's Toolshed. I have got the last one on my Kindle, same intent as you I think! But also recommend Della Galtons' How to Write short Stories. Agree with others above - Stephen King's On Writing, is quite brilliant and inspiring. And Wanna be a writer by Jane Wenham-Jones is a fun read as well as informative. But now worried I've too many books on how to write and really should get on with some writing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the Emotion Thesaurua is really useful-which is why I asked one of it's authors, Bacca to guest post for me on Monday. I have got Della's 'How to Write Short Stories' too. Thanks for the other suggestions, Tracy.

      Delete
  10. Hi Wendy, some great helpful books here. A couple of my favourite ones are: Rewriting: A Creative Approach to Writing Fiction by David Michael Kaplan, What if? Writing Exercises for Fiction Writers by Anne Bernays and Pamela Painter and and the handy The Elements of Style by William Strunk Jr and E.B. White.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant, Marianne. Thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete