Monday 21 January 2013

Blue Monday

 
Today, 21 January, is officially the most depressing day of the year, or so everyone on the radio and in the papers keep telling me.
 
Apparently psychologist Cliff Arnall came up with this date after working out a scientific formula based on the length of time until next Christmas, holiday debt and the likelihood of giving up on New Year's Resolutions. Add to this short day length, bad weather and illness and it's not surprising that many people would like to curl up in their duvet and not come out.
 
So how do I feel? Sorry Mr Arnall but actually I feel ... good. I also feel even happier knowing that I am not a statistic!
 
To cheer up anyone who, like me, had a misspent youth in the eighties, the following clip is from the original music video for New Order's 1983 song 'Blue Monday' back in the days when guys looked cool in make up (or so I thought back then).
 
What's making you feel good (or blue) today?
 
 
 






14 comments:

  1. Well, I'm feeling quite positive myself! A little bored with the snow now, but making use of the time by finishing and subbing stories. Mr Arnall can be blue if he wants, but we'll have a rainbow Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes we shall Joanne! Rainbow Monday it is then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely not blue as I'm too busy enjoying writing etc! Aren't statistics silly sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They cerainly are, Rosemary - still it gives someone a job!

      Delete
  4. I'm actually feeling happier today than for some time (so there Mr Arnall!) We're already a month distant from the longest night and spring can't be far away can it - but I am fed up with the snow. I like Joanne's Rainbow Monday :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mybe we writers are just happy folk, Teresa!I am fed up with the snow too - couldn't get to my zumba class and I expect my tango class this evening will be cancelled too.

      Delete
  5. Can't say I feel depressed today either. Maybe if I'd realised in advance I was supposed to be I could have worked myself up to it?

    Probably left it too late to try now, so I might as well carry on being cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't feel too bad either but lots of people do suffer from SAD at this time of year. I believe special 'daylight' lamps are supposed to improve the mood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes,I know someone who uses one and says they're great.

      Delete
  7. Well we all got through Monday, so it couldn't have been quite so bad as predicted!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well. that'd only work for the Northern Hemisphere. No way is Jan 21 the shortest day here--that's in June. Maybe it's because the lack of light in your winter? Who knows. Sun does make you happy unless you have too much of it, as we have in Oz, but we'll get over it. I'm usually happy, no matter what the weather...D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if you have an official Blue Monday in June in Oz then. Thank you for commenting on my blog, Denise - it was a long way for you to travel!

      Delete