Thursday 23 August 2018

I did it! I'm going to be a published author!


I apologise if this post sounds over-excited, and may contain a surfeit of capitals and exclamations, but it's a blog post I've been longing to write for a very long time... and, at last I can. 

Drum roll.... I have a publisher!

Most of you will have already heard by now that, on Tuesday, the publisher, Bookouture, made this announcement:

SO DELIGHTED to share that we have signed a deal for two psychological thrillers from Flash500 Novel Competition winner WENDY CLARKE.

If that doesn't deserve a squeal or two, nothing does! I am absolutely thrilled.

You can read the full announcement from Bookouture HERE

My journey with Bookouture began at the end of May when, despite winning the Flash500 novel competition, having a glowing report from my NWS reader, Jennifer Young, six full  manuscript requests from agents and unsolicited approaches from two major publishers, months and months had gone by and things were still not happening. I was growing weary of all the waiting - wondering if six months was too early to politely enquire after my novel only to do so and have it rejected by return of email or, worse still, to have no reply at all. I was constantly scared of doing the wrong thing: not wanting to upset anyone and spoil my chances but not wanting my submission to have fallen down the back of the metaphorical filing cabinet. 

Anyone who's been down this route will know what I'm talking about.

Little by little, my confidence was ebbing away, leaving me wondering whether maybe my novel was rubbish despite the evidence to the contrary.

Then I had a light bulb moment. Why was I not listening to what many of my writer friends had been telling me for a while? Rather than waiting for an agent to find a deal for me, why wasn't I looking for one myself?  

Bookouture was top of my list having been recommended to me by my lovely friend Liz Eeles who writes for them. Also, Bookouture publishes Kerry Fisher and Louise Jensen whose books I love. In fact, I'd heard only amazing things about this publisher and when I submitted my manuscript I was expecting another nail-biting wait as I knew competition would be high.

Imagine my delight and amazement when, the very next day, I received an email from my fabulous editor, Jennifer Hunt, to say that she'd just started reading my novel. She wanted to let me know that she was already enthralled by it and swept away by my characters' stories. She'd be in touch very soon.

Very soon was indeed VERY soon! Just four days later, I received another email from Jennifer telling me she thought I'd written such a page-turner she'd read it twice. Could we speak on the phone? I was shocked  and very nervous but, when that call happened, I knew straight away that I'd found the perfect home for my novel. In Jennifer, I'd found that person (aside from my NWS reader) who felt as passionately about my work as I did. Not only that - someone who was as excited at the prospect of working with me as I was with them.

It didn't take me long to say a big YES to their offer of a two-book deal. In Jennifer's words - it looked like we were a 'great match'

So this is the news I've had to hold close to my chest for three months while the wheels have been set in motion. During that time, I've been working with my editor on the structural edits of book one (which are now done) and have started book two.

On Tuesday, the announcement was finally made and everything went crazy! Here is a screenshot from Twitter to give you an idea.




I spent most of the afternoon glued to my computer screen, chatting to people on Facebook, re-tweeting messages of support and thanking people for their incredibly heartfelt congratulations. It was, in a word (or two), overwhelming and very emotional.

So, thank you all for travelling this journey with me and for your support and encouragement (especially you, Tracy Fells).

Now the hard work begins!


60 comments:

  1. I signed earlier this year with Bookouture and it was a very positive move. Congratulations to you and good luck with the writing! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that, Debbie. Maybe we’ll meet at a Bookouture event x

      Delete
  2. Wendy, that’s fantastic news, and so well deserved. You really have stuck at it. Many congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful. I enjoyed reading this blog post! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a lovely, inspiring post to read, Wendy. I've loved following your path to publication. How exciting it is to see you reach the destination - and how richly you deserve this wonderful news! So very thrilled for you and hugely looking forward to seeing the cover and reading your books XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joanna. The tag line for this blog is Wendy Clarke’S journey from first short story Publication to who knows where’. You were with me al OST from the beginning 😀 x

      Delete
  5. May congratulations. Bookouture are wonderful publisher. My first editor, who offered me a contract for The Woolworths Girls, now works for them. So exciting for you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always knew you would do it. And it really is possible without an agent. Very best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always told me that, Viv. I should have listened to you earlier x

      Delete
  7. It is so wonderful that after all your ups and downs you have a brilliant publisher, and is utterly deserved. Enjoy every moment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic news! Wow you kept it a secret for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was difficult and I dropped a few clues along the way!

      Delete
  9. This is brilliant and I know you'll be really happy with them. Thanks for the mention :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re very welcome, Kerry. I remember you telling me to approach them in a comment on one of my Facebook posts. I did it the very next day!

      Delete
  10. So pleased for you, Wendy. I read one of your posts when you were sounding really despondent. Wonderful for you to have such fab news. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really helped that everyone was so positive and encouraging x

      Delete
  11. I'm so very delighted for you, Wendy. Congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous news, Wendy. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the mention, I'm sure the teacakes helped too! I am so excited for you as this is well deserved. You never gave up, which is the message I think we all have to take from the story. 2019 is going to be so exciting. Imagine the twitter storm when the first book comes out. I can't wait xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, Wendy, what brilliant news I am so pleased about your success. I want so much to follow in your footsteps. Will keep going in hope, as you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Veronica - you mustn’t give up. I could have done many times but I had faith in what I’d written and just needed to find that right person who did too.

      Delete
  15. Such exciting news - very much look forward to reading your book!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a great story in itself. So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Comgratulations and Jubilations

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's fabulous and so exciting for you, Wendy -huge congratulations! So pleased you ditched the agonising wait from agents and found the perfect publisher for you. Look forward to reading the books!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well done. I'm pleased for you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an inspirational story. Wonderful news and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great news, Wendy, and inspiring for the rest of us, too. anne

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great to read the story behind Tuesday's announcement, Wendy! Many congratulations - I'm so pleased for you! I love being with Bookouture! x

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so excited that you're joining us at Bookouture - and thanks for the mention x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Absolutely thrilled for you, Wendy. Such an inspiring post. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's brilliant news and so pleased it's happened for you after all.xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fabulous news, Wendy - so happy for you! Many congratulations xx

    ReplyDelete