Monday 23 July 2018

Smile Please



A few weeks ago, I  decided to have some new author photos done. Not because I don't like the ones I'm using but because I've had them for a while now and it's time for a change. I don't want to be that person who, on being met in the flesh, has someone whispering after they've left, "They look a bit like their photographs but I bet it was taken a few years ago."

Not that I've ever done that of course :-)

What I really wanted was a photograph that was reasonably flattering while not trying to make me look younger/more intelligent/more attractive. I just wanted to look like the best version of me now (not five years ago).

This sounds easy enough but it actually isn't because I'm not photogenic. Really I'm not. The photos of me that I choose to put on my blog or on social media will have been the only good one out of many duff ones. I hate my photo being taken for various reasons a) in repose, my expression looks hangdog b) I look better when I'm smiling but it always looks lopsided and, if I smile too long, it becomes rictus c) my fine, flyaway hair, means any outdoor shots are a nightmare d) I look awful side view.

Poor photographer.

But then I told myself not to be so silly. I only needed one good photograph - two at most. The other ninety eight could be consigned to the recycle bin. Surely it was possible. With this thought in mind, I put out a query on Facebook. Did anyone know of a photographer who was a) local b) could put me at my ease c) could give me one good picture. I had lots of suggestions, some of whom I had to discount because they were too far away and I don't like travelling. 'Stressed out' wasn't the author image I had in mind!

Then friend and author, Deirdre Palmer, came to my rescue (Deirdre was guest on my blog last week and  you can read her guest post here). She'd recently had some author photos done by a family friend, Sue Kwiatkowska, who is a wedding photographer. Why didn't I try her? I really like Deirdre's author photo as she looks relaxed and natural. It was exactly the sort of photo I'd had in mind, so I bit the bullet and rang her. A few days later Sue arrived on my doorstep with camera in hand.




I was more than a bit nervous but Sue was friendly and professional. It wasn't long before she'd put me at my ease. She established which areas would would work best light-wise (the conservatory, the dining room and a corner of my garden) and then, after a chat to find out what exactly I wanted, the photo-shoot began. Surprisingly, after a very short while, I found that I was beginning to enjoy myself. Sue's a joy to work with and I often forgot there was a horrible camera pointed at my face. An hour later, we were finished and then I had a wait of a week while Sue chose the best ones to send me.

When the link to my photographs dropped into my inbox, I was dreading it. I scrolled through them and there were the inevitable ones that I didn't like (nothing to do with Sue - purely my own vanity) but, in amongst them, were a few I really liked and I'll share my favourites with you here.



I think there's something here for every author eventuality. Now I just need to get a book published!

If you're looking to have some author photos done and live in the South East, you can view Sue's website here.


16 comments:

  1. Thank you sharing this experience, Wendy. You've encouraged me to do the same and I feel much the same about photos of me too. These are all lovely by the way - I think when you're relaxed you look great in photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photos are lovely, Wendy. I do know what you mean though. I hate having my photo taken and there are some truly hideous ones of me out there. The one on much of my stuff is very out of date but was one of the best ever taken. I liked the ones of me at my daughter's wedding (even that was over 2 years ago) but I think to have pictures on my blog wearing a fascinator might be somewhat pretentious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, Wendy and photographer! Looking good! Himself took the one of me about to appear in PF next month, I think, in all its glory... but there was one pic from only a *little* while back (honest) which I didn't use...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one I’d been using was about four years old!

      Delete
  4. These pictures are gorgeous, Wendy. Well done for confronting the challenge. I can't bear looking at my pictures, but it's probably time I faced up to having some news ones done and you've inspired me to try xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m not sure which is worse, Joanna, looking at your own photograph or listening to your own voice.

      Delete
  5. Lovely photos Wendy. Expect to see them from now on with each of your successes.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to change the one on this blog for a start.

      Delete
  6. I'm in exactly the same boat, Wendy, and still use an old deceitful photo because I HATE having my photo taken. Your new ones are all great - I particularly like the rather serious one, top left ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more serious one is my ‘I am a suspense writer’ look!

      Delete
  7. I sympathise with everything you say about not enjoying having your picture taken, because I feel the same. A good photographer will put you at ease - it is part of their job.And the results here are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pictures, Wendy.

    Despite being married to a photographer, I still find it hard to get pictures I'm happy with. I seem to either look downright miserable, or madly happy. Oh, just had a thought ... maybe that's how I look in real life too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have exactly the same problem, Patsy. It’s all or nothing with me.

      Delete