Sunday 7 February 2016

Spread a Little Happiness - Inspiration Behind the Story



It's a while since I wrote an 'inspiration behind the story' post so thought I'd share one with you today. I am lucky to have four stories out in magazines this week: one in The People's Friend weekly, one in Take a Break Fiction Feast and two in The People's Friend Special. Interestingly, they are all very different - one is a ghost story, one is a medieval romance set in France and one is a contemporary story about temptation.



The final story, though, is about one of my favourite things - my grandson. He is the inspiration behind Spread a Little Happiness, which you can read in this week's People's Friend.

It all began when Tyler, had an inset day from school and I agreed to look after him as my daughter was working. It wasn't a particularly nice day but I thought it would be nice for the two of us to go on an outing. It needed to be somewhere where we could shelter if the weather got worse and one which had a cafe where we could have lunch. A place sprang to mind immediately - somewhere where I used to take my daughters when they were children. Amberley Working Museum. Its set in a 36 acre site in the Sussex Downs National Park and is one of those wonderful places that looks rather random and scruffy but is actually a wonderful hotchpotch of things to look at and explore: traditional craftspeople, a printing workshop, transport exhibitions, a narrow-gauge railway and vintage buses to travel on.

Because it was out of season, a school day and rather rainy, the place was deserted when we got there. It was also midday and we were feeling rather peckish. Luckily the museum had a lovely new cafeteria called The Limeburners which we decided would be perfect. Tyler and I chose our sandwiches and settled down to enjoy them while we waited for the rain to stop. The place was practically empty - except for an elderly couple at a table nearby.

I was just taking a bite of my sandwich when Tyler pulled at my sleeve. His eyes shone with excitement. 

"There's Grandpa in My Pocket!"

"What?" I said, confused.

"That man in the raincoat. He's Grandpa in My Pocket! He's on television."

I have to confess that I'd never heard of the programme but the man's voice sounded familiar. Where had I heard it before? It came to me then - the voice was from one of The Likely Lads. Might James Bolam also be Grandpa in My Pocket? Under cover of the table I googled his name and yes, Tyler was right, Grandpa in My Pocket was sitting just a table away. 

Now my grandson is a very friendly soul and immediately wanted to introduce himself to the man himself. I, on the other hand, was conscious of the fact that James Bolam and his wife were probably wanting a nice quiet day out so I wouldn't let him go over to talk to them.

We had a lovely day but all Tyler could talk about, when we got home, was seeing Grandpa in My Pocket. I started to feel a bit guilty. What harm would it have done to have let him say hello? Too late now though. I'd have to think of another way to make amends.

"How about I write a story about you and me and Amberley Museum? It won't be real, it will be made up, but in this story, you'll get to meet Grandpa in My Pocket. I'll send it to the magazine I write for and one day, hopefully, you'll be able to read it. Would that make up for not actually meeting him."

His eyes lit up. "My own story?"

"Yes. Just for you... and over a hundred thousand other people."

"Ok," he said.

So I wrote it, subbed it and sold it. The boy in my story is called Taylor, Amberley Museum has become Tambury Open Air Museum and Grandpa in My Pocket is now Grandpa Joe. The fabulous illustration is by Mandy Dixon.

Today, Tyler went with me to the shops. We bought the magazine and he got to read his very own story... well I did promise him, didn't I? Luckily he loved it!



33 comments:

  1. What a special 'story behind the story', Wendy! Days out with grandsons are so special, aren't they? It's lovely to see Tyler reading his very own story. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He read it from beginning to end and his smile was worth more than the money!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely post, Wendy. And just as a by the by, I would have been just as excited about seeing James Bolam as your grandson! I think he's a wonderful actor :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember James Bolam from New Tricks with Dennis Waterman and Alan Armstrong . Lovely story Wendy. Inspiration comes from everything doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, that's a lovely inspiration story, Wendy. I like James Bolam too but probably wouldn't have wanted to disturb him. Yet he would likely have enjoyed meeting one of his young fans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's difficult to know the right thing to do in these situations, isn't it?

      Delete
  5. What a lovely story behind the story, Wendy. Inspiration comes from so many places. Tyler is lucky to have had the incident immortalised. Not many grandmothers could have done that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose that's true, Susanna. I will give him a copy to keep.

      Delete
  6. How wonderful for your grandson, Wendy, on all counts - meeting one of his favourite actors and being included in one of your stories. Lovely! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is love to know what took him to the working museum that day - whether it's a favourite place or a random visit.

      Delete
  7. Great way to get inspiration for a story, Wendy. You were very polite not to bother Mr Bolam and a good example to your grandson. A lot of people would have asked for a selfie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah bless. I remember when you told me this story about Amberely, Wendy. Hope James Bolam gets to read it now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't that be nice - though not very likely :)

      Delete
  9. I walked past Bill Nighy a little while ago sitting on a bench in Berkeley Square and, like you, I wouldn't have dreamed of disturbing him. I wonder though if you could find a way of contacting James Bolam and telling him how he was in part the inspiration for this story. You never know, if you send a copy of the magazine he might sign it for Tyler. He's sure to have a fan club or something of the kind so this wouldn't be intrusive, would be wonderful for your grandson and, you never know, might be the inspiration for yet another story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's certainly an idea, Natalie. I'll look into it.

      Delete
  10. What a great inspiration! Congratulations on all your publications! Really pleased for you. Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely to hear your inspiration. Great story idea too. So glad it was accepted and your grandson liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoyed your tale in the magazine this week - even more now I've read about it!

      Delete
    2. Yes, it would have been a problem if it hadn't been accepted, wouldn't it!

      Delete
    3. So glad you enjoyed the magazine story, Penny.

      Delete
  12. I'm glad he liked his story, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did say, 'But we didn't move away.' and I had to remind him that it was fiction!

      Delete
  13. Loved hearing this 'inspiration behind the story', Wendy! I don't think I'd have been able to resist speaking to James Bolam but I would have been very quick and quiet - no selfies or autographs required! I love it when I spot a celebrity (not that it happens very often). Well done on all your publication success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm now trying to imagine you being 'quick and quiet' Helen. Running past and whispering hello perhaps?

      Delete
  14. What a lovely story. I'm sure your grandson will dine on this tale, when he's older.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely story, Wendy! Grandpa in my Pocket was one of my favourite children's programmes when the kids were smaller :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never even seen it, Anita - much to Tyler's disgust!

      Delete