Wednesday 1 April 2015

Charlotte's War - My First People's Friend Serial


Today is a very exciting day for me as instalment one of my serial, Charlotte's War, has just been published in The People's Friend magazine. It is a romance set on Guernsey during the German occupation of World War 2 and David Young has been illustrating it for me.

After I trotted off to the newsagents this morning to buy myself a copy, the rush I got from seeing it was the same as when I saw my first short story in print. I couldn't wait to get it home to read - not because I love my own writing but because I wrote it over a year ago and I couldn't actually remember what happened! When I looked back on my computer, I found that I started writing the first instalment in July 2013! As you can see, from writing the first words to seeing the serial in print is not a speedy process! You can read my blog post written on the day I had my serial accepted here.

The People's Friend are running an advert this week on Classic FM (South and Midlands) and they are using an excerpt from Charlotte's War - with sound effects! I spent a morning listening to classical music (not something I would normally do!) and wondered why the advert hadn't appeared (I'd been sent a schedule so knew roughly the times). It wasn't until I heard on the traffic news about road works in Yorkshire, that I realised my computer was tuned into the wrong region! Luckily for me, the magazine put a link on their website and anyone interested can listen to it here.

It's strange but thrilling to hear even that tiny part read - shame my name wasn't mentioned though.
 


I have a story, Rhythm of Life, in the same magazine set in the 1920s jazz age. It was one I wrote to accompany this lovely illustration by Len Thurston.

I find that magazine publications are a lot like buses - they often come at once (not that I'm complaining). I also have a story, Home Grown Wisdom, in the People's Friend special - also out today. The illustration is by Ruth Blair and the inspiration behind this story was my lovely father-in-law who has spent most of his life in his vegetable garden!

Before I go, The People's Friend are looking for new serial writers. If you want any tips on writing longer pieces for this magazine, an article I have written on the subject, with pearls of wisdom from fiction editor Shirley Blair, should be in Writing Magazine soon.




30 comments:

  1. Congratulations x 3, Wendy :0) Fab illustrations, too. And I'll have to look out for your article.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the first episode, Wendy, and didn't David Young's fantastic illustration bring the characters and setting to life. He is SO good at that. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Pat. I was so pleased when he told me he was doing the illustrations - can't wait to see the rest.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! I will make sure to get a copy and check it out. I look forward to your piece in Writing Magazine too :-).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the first instalment Wendy, can't wait for the next. Congratulations on all your success. Not that I've had a smidgeon of what you've had published but oh the THRILL of seeing one's story in print :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shame the advert didn't mention your name, but perhaps that's the price of fame, Wendy! I remember you writing this so it's wonderful to now see it out - I'm just off to the village shop to get my copy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems a long time ago that we were talking about it over teacakes, Tracy. Thank you for pointing out that the link to the advert didn't work - I think I've fixed it now.

      Delete
  6. It's always a joy to follow your blog, Wendy, but today especially the excitement is shining through - and quite right too. Enjoy every moment

    ReplyDelete
  7. Massive congratulations, Wendy, on your success with both the serial and stories. Those illustrations are suitably beautiful too. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, Wendy! My Writing magazine just popped through the letter box and your article is in it! Not had time to read it yet, though and before everyone goes running off to the shops, as I subscribe to Writing I probably get it a few days before it hits the shops, so it might not be on the shelves yet! Looking forward to reading it later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen - mine just plopped through my door!

      Delete
  9. Looking forward to reading it, Wendy. Congratulations. Also stalking my post man for my copy of Writing magazine. It takes a little longer to reach me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's brilliant, Wendy - sounds a good story! And congrats on the other successes too. Len Thurston has always been one of my favourite illustrators.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Rosemary. He has a very distinctive style doesn't he.

      Delete
  11. Congratulations, Wendy. Looking forward to reading them all. My DH has PF on the shopping list for today and I'm waiting for him to come home so I can read it..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations, Wendy. Just got PF today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations, Wendy. And brilliant to get an excerpt used on the radio ad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - it was very exciting to hear it, Carol.

      Delete