Monday 17 June 2013

A School of Thought - Read My Story in Woman's Weekly Fiction Special

What with all the excitement over the Woman's Weekly Fiction Workshop, it seems a good time to tell you about the inspiration behind my story 'A School of Thought' which is published in this month's Woman's Weekly Fiction Special.

The story is about a teacher who is annoyed to find she has a student in her class just before the SATS exams. She has forgotten that a long time ago, when she was a student teacher, she was given a hard time by the class teacher. It takes her mother to remind her. At first sight, it might seem to have the dreaded Well Worn Theme but there is a twist at the end of the story. I won't spoil it by telling you what it is in case you want to read it.

Most of you will know that before I became a magazine writer, I was a teacher - first a general class teacher in state schools and then an English teacher in a small private primary school. (It was when this school closed during the recession two years that I decided to try my hand at writing).

When I was a student teacher, I loved my first placement. I had sweet seven year olds and the teacher was warm and welcoming. In the second school however, things could not have been more different. The class teacher made it clear that she didn't want me there and the class of twelve year olds, who were in the last term before they went to secondary school, weren't bothered about working - it was a nightmare.

The part in the story where the teacher shares a joke with one of the pupils at the student's expense is true as is when the main character hears her own student crying in the toilets at break time - the rest is fiction.

When, in time, I had a student in my own class, I remembered my experience and made sure that I was friendly and supportive.

12 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued to read the story now, Wendy. I've never had any success with WW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have certainly found them the hardest to gauge, Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read it, Wendy and enjoyed it. I knew you had been a teacher and thought it must have been based on truth. The best stories are!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's often, but not always, a bit of something of me in my stories, Helen.

      Delete
  4. I loved this story - great twist too. Definitely not a well worn theme Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few more with them, so shall wait and see if they like them... or not.

      Delete
  5. Looking forward to reading this story. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done on your latest publication, Wendy. I'll look out for it. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love hearing where inspiration comes from and am looking forward to reading your story :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inspiration comes from odd places, doesn't it. This time it was a bit more obvious.

      Delete