Saturday 23 March 2013

The Curious Incident of Missing Bonnie

Bad Bonnie went on a mini-break for three days. She went to stay with Grandad, who she loves and who loves having her, while my husband and I went to London for the day to The Apollo Theatre to see the National Theatre Production of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night -Time.

If you haven't read the book, (which I thoroughly recommend you do), it is about a boy with Asperger's Syndrome. As the author Mark Haddon says:  'It’s a novel about difference, about being an outsider, about seeing the world in a surprising and revealing way.'

The play is amazing - if you don't see anything else see this! It is both humorous and moving.

But back to Bonnie. Great, I thought. Three days of no doggie smell, no wet muddy walks, no black hairs to hoover up and a respite for Bobby the cat (who she likes to chase round the room).

Most of you will know that Bonnie is my step-dog. She came (as a package with my husband) to live at my house three years ago and most of you will also know that before this I was a cat lover.

So, did I enjoy my Bonnie - free three days? I need to be honest here. It was cold and wet and muddy and I didn't miss the stressful walks, always on the constant look-out for other dogs (who she would like to eat). I liked not having a constantly muddy floor and I liked not having doggie drool on my knee... but... the house was so quiet, no one was there to greet me with a waggy tail when I came in from shopping, no one followed me round from room to room, settling at my feet whenever I sat down and as for Bobby - he just moped!

And when bonnie came home? She ran straight to me, her favourite toy in her mouth and dropped it at my feet before rolling on her back and making the strange mewling noise she seems to keep in reserve for when she hasn't seen me for a while.

Did I miss Bonnie? I hate to admit it but I did and would I mind if she went on another mini-break to Grandad's?... well, how could we disappoint him! 

15 comments:

  1. It is horrible how empty a place feels when they're not there! Glad Bonnie enjoyed her holiday with Grandad (and that you enjoyed your London trip) :-)

    This is not enjoyable weather for dog walking is it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it is not! I am sending my husband and Bonnie out on their own today.

      Delete
  2. Bonnie's got a place in your heart, Wendy. It's lovely to go away, but so nice to come back and be reunited too. Keep warm in this awful weather and hopefully spring's just around the corner...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope you're right, Kate - I'm fed up of the rain.

      Delete
  3. Aah, beautiful Bonnie! I used to be a cat person too, but now the best bit of going out is coming home to a waggy tailed dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't half miss it when it's not there, Joanne.

      Delete
  4. The Curious Incident ... is a great book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Patsy and I was amazed by how well it transferred to the stage

      Delete
  5. I loved that book, Wendy. Sounds as though the mini break do you and Bonnie some good! Animal have a way of getting into your heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just as good on the stage rosemary.Just off to give Bon a cold, wet, muddy walk!

      Delete
  6. That should have been 'animals' of course!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a soppy sweet blog! Sounds like Bonnie missed you too. Haven't read Mark Haddon's book (it's on my list!) and plays does sound good. Hope it's going on tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read it soon and then you can tell me wha tyou think of it, Tracy.

      Delete
  8. Wendy, I love reading your blog as it means I don't have to wait several weeks/months for dad to finally remember to update me on things (despite seeing him once a week!).
    Very jealous of you both getting to see the curious incident..!
    From your favourite step daughter x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're enjoying it Emma. Typical Dad eh! Yes the play was brilliant.

      Delete