Monday 8 October 2012

When Can You Call Yourself a Writer?

When can you call yourself a writer? This is a question I know a lot of new writers ask. Is it when you have successfully completed your writing course? Is it when you have finished your first short story, article or novel? Is it when you have sent off your first manuscript? Is it when you receive that exciting email saying that you have had your precious work accepted or when you receive your first payment?

I have the answer: It is when your husband tells you that in answer to the question from a work colleaque,"What does you wife do?" he has replied, "She is a writer." I don't know it he's right but for me that was a very special moment.

When did you feel you could call yourself a writer?




2 comments:

  1. That's an interesting question, and I often wonder the same myself. I suppose I considered myself a writer after I sold my first article. However writing isn't my job - it is a part time pursuit. So should I consider myself a writer? I suppose it is all up to the individual!

    http://kathwrites.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting. I imagine that ten different people would give ten different answers to that question!

      Delete