Tuesday 9 April 2019

Nerves are Good... Right?

I'm trying not to panic. Why? Because in three week's time, my debut psychological thriller, What She Saw will be published.

I've been waiting for this for a long time but now that it's getting closer I'm starting to get nervous. What if people don't like my book? What if no one buys it? Silly thoughts, I know, as my editor is really pleased with how the pre-orders of the ebook are going and already I've had a favorable response to it on Goodreads, but I just can't help it.

The problem is, as an author, it doesn't matter how many lovely 4 and 5 star reviews you have, it will always be the others you focus on. That's human nature I suppose. I was given the advice not to look at my reviews... but it's hard not to. Also, if I hadn't looked, I'd have missed out on the reviewer who said my characters were 'meh' but also missed out on the one who said, 'I've read many thrillers but this one blew them all out of the water'.

The whole process is nerve-wracking but exciting too.

There have been three other exciting things that have happened this week. The first is that I've seen the paperback version of my novel is now available to pre-order. Yippee!

The second is I've spoken to the owner of my lovely local independent bookshop (Steyning Bookshop) and she's happy to stock my novel on publication (I'm hoping that anyone who lives locally and wants to buy a paperback copy will support this wonderful shop).

Finally, I've been told that the London studio has been booked for the audio of What She Saw. I've listened to a clip of the narrator on Audible and I'm delighted with my publisher's choice. I can't wait to hear it!

Everything's happening so fast that it's no wonder my stomach is doing somersaults.


What She Saw can be pre-ordered here for just 99p!

16 comments:

  1. I think you are holding your nerve marvellously. When 1 May comes remember to embrace the fear and enjoy the day to the max.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whether they are good, Wendy, I don't know but they are understandable. Although I suspect unfounded. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ll try to keep the nerves in check, Lindsay.

      Delete
  3. You've come a long way, Wendy, and have the backing of a great publisher. Give yourself a big pat on the back and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy every moment, Wendy. Nerves are a natural part of the build-up, but focus on how very, very well you've done to reach this point and how much you deserve it xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joanna - the lead up to it is so long! x

      Delete
  5. Better to be nervous than not to care, I think. I also think it's extremely likely that you're worrying for nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, Wendy. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck, Wendy. It will be fine. You are such a good writer and the proof is all those HUNDREDS stories you've had published. I can understand your fears, however. We're both new with Bookouture and I keep hoping I'm not a waste of time for them. Keep the faith and try to enjoy the process. (Easy to say, but you are already a successful writer). I'll be cheering you on! Angela Petch (I can't seem to publish this unless I select anonymous btw.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very kind of you and thank you, Angela x

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on the upcoming release and I'm sure it's going to be successful, however nervous you are.x

    ReplyDelete