Tuesday 17 April 2018

Writing Inspiration in Mallorca - that's my story and I'm sticking to it!


Alright, I admit it. I've been away again but I'm not going to feel guilty.

The reason I'm not is because of my neighbour. She and her husband are in their eighties and are not able to do the things they used to do. Even a trip to the village shop is a major outing for them these days. Whenever I stop for a chat with her, she always says to me, "Wendy, do as much as you can, while you can. One day you'll be old and may not be able to do everything you want to do. Make the most of life while you can."

These words were an echo of those of a dear friend who passed away two years ago and it made me think about the truth in them. Life is for living... for enjoying. I've had periods of my life when things have been challenging but, at the moment, life is great. None of us know what's around the corner and, while we are able, my husband and I have decided to make the most of it. Having wonderful breaks in beautiful places such as the one we've just had in the Tramuntana Mountains of Mallorca, being one way.

We were there for five days and stayed in a simple finca on a hillside studded with orange and lemon trees. This photograph was of our garden and, each morning, we'd pick oranges from the trees and have freshly squeezed orange juice with our breakfast.

Each morning, we'd wake up to the sound of sheep bells and birdsong, and, when we opened the shutters, the air was filled with the fragrance of orange blossom. Once, we looked out to see a heard of mountain goats in our orchard!

Fifteen minutes down a steep and cobbled track (and over stepping stones in a stream) led us to the village of  Fornalutx, which prides itself on having the title of the prettiest village in Spain. It was obvious why - nestled in the mountains, its cobbled streets and warm stone houses with their red-tiled roofs are a delight.

The place is a walkers' paradise but, having only brought trainers, my husband and I were content to take the footpath through the olive trees to Soller in the valley below and then on to Port de Soller. If we were looking for a beach resort, this is probably where we'd choose as it was lovely.

Feeling a bit lazy, we caught the little tram back to Soller, then walked back to Fornalutx, stopping for a well-earned chilled glass of white wine in the square.

The rest of or days were spent, visiting the lovely seaside resort of Puerto Pollensa, discovering the villages of Valldemossa and Deia and eating good food. We were lucky to have several restaurants in the village and didn't have a bad meal. In fact, the paella we had on our last night was probably the best we've ever eaten.




As you can imagine, we were very sad to leave our little finca but holidays must come to an end. My husband needed to get back to work and I needed to get back to my writing. I like to think of these breaks as inspiration for my magazine stories - needless to say, I have already started one set on this beautiful island. 

Speaking of magazines, I came home to find I had a story in the latest People's Friend magazine and here it is!



30 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful, Wendy.
    Alyson

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was, Alyson... and I don’t feel guilty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks stunning and what a good perspective to adopt, one I keep having to remind myself even though life gets busy. Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds idyllic, Wendy. A wonderful way to recharge the batteries - and a brilliant location for one of your lovely stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was idyllic - one of the prettiest places we’ve stayed.

      Delete
  5. I agree with your friend as I'm also a great believer in 'Do the things you want to do if you have the means to do them.' Your holiday looks fabulous and I'm sure it was a lovely battery recharge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was and I’ve already written a story since I’e been back.

      Delete
  6. The places you mention brought back happy memories of two holidays spent in Puerto de Soller, Wendy. We love that part of the island. Glad you found inspiration for more stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Puerto de Sóller is lovely. Loved the little tram.

      Delete
  7. That sounds so restful, Wendy - somewhere I'd love to visit once the chicks have flown the nest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're a long time dead, as they say. You don't need to justify these little adventures, but the fact that you always come home inspired should salve your conscience, if it needs it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I write a story for every holiday I go on (and two novels based on my all time favourites) so you’re right, Julia.

      Delete
  9. So glad you don't feel guilty for grabbing life with both hands. We've only got one go at it! Lovely to see you cramming in so many enjoyable places and experiences

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Natalie, and look forward to having you as a guest on my blog next week.

      Delete
  10. It looks and sounds idyllic. Hope you came home with a bag full of new story ideas too, Wendy :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks and sounds wonderful, Wendy. And I agree with others who've said, why should you feel guilty? Life is for living, I agree with your neighbour! Our neighbours, also in their 80s are no longer able to do the things they used to but up until a couple of years ago, they were still travelling all over Europe in their motorhome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My neighbour says to me, “Don’t get old, Wendy.” I’ll try not to but nature might think differently!

      Delete
  12. It looks and sounds wonderful, Wendy. We spent our honeymoon in Deia, which is absolutely idyllic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely! I loved the cemetery on top of the hillside.

      Delete
  13. I totally agree that life is for living and we should do stuff while we can. Plus, you never know what you'll end up putting in a story, or when, so it really is all research.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is... in fact the story has been written and subbed :)

      Delete
  14. I find that it's not only the places that give you inspiration but also the people you meet. Glad you had a good time, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Keith. It's the people too. We met a few interesting characters along the way.

      Delete
  15. Hi Wendy, That looks positively idyllic. Don't feel guilty about enjoying it. I have been harshly reminded this year that life is not a dress rehearsal so you have to enjoy it as much as you can. And as it has inspired at least one story, it could almost be counted as tax deductible!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely break for you, Wendy. We used to love going to Puerto Pollensa when the children were small and visited Soller. Too long since we've been and you're quite right about doing things while you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took my children to Puerto Pollensa about fifteen years ago and have lovely memories.

      Delete