Sunday 20 August 2017

A Small Step closer...


This is a short follow-on post from last week just to let you know that, since posting, I have received my novel critique back from the RNA New Writers' Scheme (NWS). When the email came in, it took a while to pluck up the courage to go online and download my review then, in my haste, I forgot to put this year's password in and couldn't understand why it wasn't there. Luckily, the lovely NWS organiser was very patient with me and explained what I'd done wrong.

This year, I asked to have the same reader as last year (all critiquing is anonymous so I had no idea who it was but for ease of reading I shall call my reader 'she'). The reason I asked for the same person was my submission last year, for my first novel ,elicited a critique (of several pages) that was so astute that I just nodded in agreement at what had been written. She loved my writing and enjoyed my novel but knew it wasn't working on a few levels. I trusted her opinion and thought it might be interesting for her to take a look at my new project.

I stared at the screen... What would she think? Would it be another, I love your writing, but...

Eventually, I opened the file, expecting another several pages of suggestions but, instead, there was only a page and a half of writing with an apology for its brevity... it’s because there’s really not very much I can say that would improve it.

As I continued to read, I felt a warm glow inside - she loved the plot and thought my characters tremendous and believable. She also said I built up the tension wonderfully, every scene raising the stakes. My agent had asked me to write a suspense and it seemed I had managed to do it.

There were also small suggestions on how to increase the pace of the first few chapters and some queries about some plot devices I'd used (which I will definitely look at) but, overall, she loved it... hurrah! One tiny step closer on the long path to publication.

Of course, it's my agent who I really need to love it but at least now I know I haven't written a great big pile of rubbish (sometimes you can't help wondering if you have).

So now all I have to do is be patient and wait.... which I can guarantee won't be as easy as it sounds!


34 comments:

  1. Well done, Wendy. I'm sure you haven't just written a pile of rubbish (if ever you did.) Good luck with the novel and keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic news Wendy. Everything crossed now your agent loves it too - why wouldn't she? As Lindsay says Good Luck and keep us posted :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with it Wendy I'm sure your agent will love it too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can never be sure of anything in this business, Sue.

      Delete
  4. That's brilliant news, Wendy, and I feel sure your agent will be equally enthusiastic - congratulations! Looking forward to hearing the next news xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thrilling news - congratulations, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a good idea to ask for the same reader as last year, Wendy. Good luck with taking it further

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just felt my last year's reader 'got' me and their advice was excellent. I was thrilled they liked this one.

      Delete
  7. Well done, Wendy. If it makes you feel any better, it doesn't matter how many books you've written, when you're waiting for your agent's opinion, it's murder! I'm way down the line of publication, a hybrid author, and I still think I've written a pile of rubbish. Always pleasant to read it over and find it ain't nearly as bad as you thought!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so hard to judge one's own writing, and even harder, sometimes to admit it's worthy of a wider audience. Asking for feedback doesn't get easier the more you do it, in my experience. I'm so pleased that your reader liked your latest submission (but not surprised!) and I'm sure your agent will, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Hi Wendy, well done on getting some fab feedback. Fingers crossed the agent likes it too.
      You say you don't get to know who has read your manuscript, so I'm wondering does your reader get to know who you are?

      Delete
  10. Congratulations! Please keep us posted...

    ReplyDelete
  11. What wonderful news, Wendy. Congratulations. I hope that one day you will find out who your reader was. Through two sets of unexpected circumstances, my two readers 'outed' themselves to me, so you never know - you might eventually find out. I was so happy to be able to thank mine in person.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic news, Wendy. Here's to the next step...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking forward to reading it, Wendy. Am biting my nails as you wait for news ...

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's fantastic, Wendy - I do hope your agent agrees with such excellent feedback , and why wouldn't she!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you need to read today's post, Rosemary 😕

      Delete