Tuesday 25 April 2017

Just Wanna Dance the Night Away


The photograph above was taken, this morning, on a beautiful walk around the estuary on Hayling Island. It looks serene, calm, quiet and you would be forgiven if you thought that this was a reflection of our weekend break.

Nothing could be further from the truth!

In actual fact, we were at Warners Lakeside Holiday Village for our annual Jive Time Riot Weekend. We arrived on Friday evening and came home this morning (Monday) and now, after three evening dances and two full days of dance classes, I'm ready for a week of sleep!

We've been going to the dance weekender in Hayling Island for the last six years and pretty much know the ropes. The food is great (can you believe I ate from the carvery all three evenings) and the chalets, although a bit 'hi-di-hi' are perfectly adequate for what we want. Sadly though, it's the end of an era as the huge indoor bowling hall that serves as our dance room is being demolished and so this year was to be the last one at this venue. We could, of course, go to the new venue next year but we feel that maybe this is the time to give it a break.

These are the some of the workshops we attended: tango jive, advanced jive, retro jive,double trouble, Madison Stroll, fast jive and West Coast Swing.



This is a picture of Seamus and Jane teaching the tango jive class.


The weekender was also a good excuse to buy some new dance shoes (Please don't ask how many I have now!) Luckily, while I was away, I sold a story to Take a Break Fiction Feast which paid for them. Actually I could have bought two pairs.

While we are away, we always try to go for a walk, otherwise we're stuck inside all day. As I mentioned at the beginning of the post, we grabbed an hour to walk by the waterside. The weather was perfect.



Now it's back to work on the novel and I'm hoping to manage a magazine story too this week... that's if I can stay awake!

8 comments:

  1. I'd never have thought of you as a rioter! How misleading appearances can be. Lovely setting and gorgeous shoes! What a shame the venue is to be demolished. Hope the Jive Time Riot Weekend finds a good substitute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a great time, Lindsay. The weekender will be moving to a different venue next year but it's an end of an era.

      Delete
  2. What a great weekend - dancing and walking! Shame it's the end of that particular venue, Wendy, but I'm sure you'll keep dancing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to share a room with a girl from Hayling Island, and eventually went to her wedding there. I don't think we tango-jived, though. Love the dancing shoes. I've just bought some jazz shoes and they're so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jazz shoes are really comfortable, aren't they.

      Delete
  4. You obviously had a great time! Years ago I was in the WRNS with a girl from Hayling Island - I'd never heard of it and have still never been.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter's mum in law was there for the same weekend - she had a great time. We were there in March, but at Mill Rythe.

    Liv Thomas

    ReplyDelete