Sunday 19 March 2017

Podcast interview with People's Friend Fiction Editor, Shirley Blair




I started writing for The People's Friend at the end of 2012 and, although it wasn't the first magazine I sold to, it was the one I had the quickest success with. Since then, with my wonderful editor, Alan, by my side making my writing better, I've sold around 140 stories to them.

You can read the post I wrote at the beginning of my People's Friend  journey here.

When I wrote that post, I could never have imagined that four and a half years later, I would hear commissioning editor Shirley Blair say in an interview, 'We buy stories from regular writers... names that our readers will recognise such as Pamela Kavanagh, Wendy Clarke, Alison Carter and Lydia Jones.' 

To have readers recognise my name is an absolute dream come true.

BUT it's not just regular writers Shirley buys from. In her podcast interview on the People's Friend Website, she says they also like to introduce new writers to the readers and bring these new writers on. That's exactly what the magazine did for me four years ago and I'm really pleased they're giving new writers a chance. 

Shirley's podcast is a must for anyone wondering what goes on behind the scenes at the magazine and wanting an idea of what types of story the fiction team do and don't want.



The full podcast interview with Shirley can be found here.

On that note, I have a story in the next People's Friend Special so I'll be keeping a look out for that.


16 comments:

  1. I agree, Wendy, it's a very interesting and useful podcast! (and I did notice your name check!!!). It's lovely that the People's Friend are so encouraging to writers. I don't think any other magazine is so 'open'. Having said that though, they're not the easiest magazine to write for (although many people think they are). You have to get the subject matter and the tone just right. It's worth listening to the podcast and reading the guidelines (and the magazine! if you want to be published by them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for featuring this podcast, Wendy. I'm writing my eighth pocket novel aimed at The People's Friend but also submit the occasional short story. Shirley took two of mine a while back and I was thrilled that she spent time suggesting some slight changes and even more delighted that she approved them! Best wishes, Sandra aka Jill Barry.

      Delete
    2. I fnd writing for The Friend has always come easily to me, Helen but The know it's not he same for everyone.

      Delete
    3. Sandra - it's always amazes me how just that simple tweek can make a story so much better. The editors really know their stuff.

      Delete
  2. In excess of 600 stories a year to select! That's a massive number. Thanks for the share. Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - there must be a lot of tired eyes in the office!

      Delete
  3. Well deserved kudos to you, Wendy, for getting mentioned by name in Shirley's podcast. You have worked hard to achieve that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this, Wendy, and huge congratulations again on such success with The People's Friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So nice to hear a success story! Thank you for sharing the podcast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It can be easy to forget that regular, established writers were all unpublished once.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It took me a while to get accepted but Shirley is really helpful in suggesting edits and rewrites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... and they always seem to make them just that little bit better, don't they, Keith 😊

      Delete