Monday 6 July 2015

Go with the Flow


I've just been reading an interesting post by Helen Pollard (you can read it here) about summer being a bad time for writers. It certainly struck a chord. Since I started writing, I have definitely found that I am more productive in the winter when I can squirrel myself away in my cave with little or no distractions. 

Unable to stay inside and write in the summer, I find that like Helen I have to contend with sunlight on the screen, bad internet connection as well as bugs dropping on me from the pear tree. This is not all though...  I also have an overwhelming desire to be doing something other than writing.

It bothered me at first but now I just accept that this is the way things are and no longer get het up about it. Instead of fretting that I should be writing another story, editing my novel or writing a blog post, I take Bonnie for a walk or potter in the garden. I've learnt to go with the flow, as they say.

Which leads me very nicely to the canal boat holiday I've just been on with my husband, step-boy and step-dog. Its the third we've been on and this time we spent five days on the Kennet and Avon starting at Aldermaston. As always,we had a fantastic time but, when we booked it, none of us could have predicted the heatwave! Opening eight locks in 32 degrees, when there is no shade, is no joke I can tell you. No wonder I slept like a baby, even though the double bed was the tiniest you could imagine.

While we were travelling, we saw the lovely horse-drawn barge in the photo above. It was pulled by Joey who apparently one day had fallen into the canal and had to be rescued. Luckily, he looked fine when we saw him, so it couldn't have been too serious. 

Evenings were gentle, warm and peaceful. Husband and step-boy fished and I sat at the prow, with a glass of wine, and managed to write a story, I hadn't gone with the intention of doing so but one just popped into my head - see this is what sometimes happens when you don't force it in the summer.


While I was in Newbury, I managed to get a copy of The People's Friend as I wanted to see the illustration to go with my story, You'll Never Walk Alone.

Now I'm back, all I need to do is think about what I'm taking to the RNA conference on Friday. My clever husband has made me some business cards (though I'm not sure who I'll be giving them to) and I've bought the chocolate and wine... I'm told that's probably all I shall need!  

Finally, if there are any other newbies attending, this post on the RNA blog is a must-read.

18 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed your holiday, Wendy. Going on a canal holiday is just about the most relaxing thing you can do. The world slows down. And you even managed to write a story. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your canal boat holiday looks so tranquil and beautiful, Wendy. I would like to be there right now, just going with the flow. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are totally addicted - though it will be harder once step-boy no longer wants to come with us and I have to do the locks on my own :(

      Delete
  3. What a lovely, relaxing holiday, Wendy (bar the heat and locks!) Sounds perfect. Thanks for the mention! Have a great time at the conference :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome, Helen. I hear more hot weather is on the way so less writing again!

      Delete
  4. Your canal trip sounds lovely, Wendy - something we've never tried yet! Looking forward to meeting you in real life at last - if you see me first, please come and say hello!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll give you a big hug for being a loyal blog follower for the last three years!

      Delete
  5. It's many years since I went on a (my only) canal boat holiday but I remember it with a good deal of affection - and we also had a heatwave! See you on Friday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough we preferred our last day when it was showery - at least the air was fresh.

      Delete
  6. I'm the same - I write much less in the summer than the winter as I'm too busy doing other things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 'other things' are what give us our story ideas after all.

      Delete
  7. Your holiday looks fab, Wendy, and hope I'm not too late for that story. I seem to have more ideas in the summer, but busy doing other things, as you said. You'll love the RNA conference, and you'll meet lots of lovely people. Good luck with the novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. Will you be going?

      Delete
    2. Not this time, Wendy, I went to one last year though and met editors and other writers, it was fab, will go another time.

      Delete
    3. That's a shame - it would have been nice to have met you.

      Delete
  8. Looking forward to hearing about the holiday tomorrow. And wondering why you need to take wine & chocolate to a conference... hmm what do you romance writers get up to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No idea, Tracy - I'll let you know when I get back!

      Delete