Monday 7 October 2013

I Am in Awe!

I watched (or rather heard) an amazing thing happen on Saturday. Our choir Cantatrice sang in the 'Last Night of the Proms' concert with the wonderful Worthing Philharmonic Orchestra.

As always, I was very nervous - which is rather silly as there are over ninety of us in the choir - but there it is. One of my problems is my worry over learning the words. When I was a child, I used to be entered into speech and drama festivals (as my mum's a drama teacher). Mostly it was fine, but one day, I went out on stage and blanked... seriously blanked. It was one of those 'I hope I wake up soon' moments and the memory has stayed with me to this day (hence the worry every singing concert).

Anyway, on this occasion, our lovely musical director Zoe was singing, as a solo, the verses of Rule Britannia. She is a very confident singer and puts us all to shame. We stood transfixed, as she started her recital - standing there in a Union Jack ensemble. Imagine my shock, then, when I realised in the second verse that Zoe was singing "La...la ...la...la" very beautifully and confidently. I checked my sheet (we were singing the chorus and had been given the words) - nowhere did it say "La...la".

It was then I realised that she had forgotten the words but was brazenly carrying on regardless as though nothing had happened... how brilliant is that! Britannia may have ruled the waves, but Zoe certainly ruled that stage.

I think confidence is something you either have or don't have. Unfortunately, from my earlier experience, I know I'm in the latter category... but my own horrendous experience did have its positive side. I used the stage fright in a story and it was my first ever story published in Fiction Feast.

I have another in this month's Fiction Feast called Destiny According to Doris. It's a bit different to my usual as it is humorous so I hope you like it.

14 comments:

  1. Great post, Wendy - I can imagine your shock! I'm a mixture of confidence and nerves when doing anything on a stage. Love her ability to carry on. Will try and get a copy of FF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate anything that puts me in the limelight, Rosemary. My husband and I had to do an Argentine Tango demonstration at a dance on Sunday with only two other couples and I was so self conscious.

      Delete
  2. That's why we're writers, Wendy. Writers do it in private!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unless we have a book to promote, Frances - which luckily I haven't!

      Delete
  3. Yes, writers may suffer the same rejection as actors/performers, but at least we don't have to get up on stage!

    Well done on the story, Wendy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. But Wendy, you were a little girl when you made that mistake. Now you are a woman and a PUBLISHED WRITER. Look in the mirror and say that to yourself and when you're worried about anything Act As If you are not. When you're nervous Act As If you are confident. I always use the Act As If method. Try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Was that one from your great book, Lynne? I'll try and remember it.

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful experience - singing on Last nIght of the proms (not blanking on stage). I used to take my son to lots of piano recitals when he was younger and it was so painful when a child lost their place in the music and you could see the panic kick in. Almost unbearable to watch. The soloist sounds a real pro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great, Tracy. We sang some beautiful Vivaldi pieces and in the second half, rousing numbers such as Jerusalem. Zoe is a real pro and the most brilliant choir teacher as well.

      Delete
  6. What a lovely experience, Wendy! And congratulations on your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love singing, Amanda (although not quite as much as dancing).

      Delete
  7. Theres a short story there Wendy ;)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. My first story published last year was based on my stage fright, Vikki - maybe I need to write another one about my musical director!

    ReplyDelete