Saturday 11 August 2012

Creativity and Dreams

Do creative people dream more often or more vividly?

I dream every night - most of these dreams I can remember when I wake up. Most are good dreams but not all. A recurring dream I have, involves being lost in a city with no mobile and no address book. I can't remember the name of the hotel I am staying in and I feel an overwhelming sense of helplessness.

My mother, who is very creative,  has always had a lot of dreams and they are are exciting and often involve travel. My husband, on the other hand, who works in the engineering industry, never dreams at all  (or never remembers them). Is this significant I wonder?

2 comments:

  1. I often wonder this myself. My theory is that our subconcious absorbs material and feeds it back to us in dreams. Do creative people stuff more into the corners of their brains? I've taken to following Ray Bradbury's advice to read a short story, poem, and essay before bed every night. I've noticed I dream more vividly and remember what I dream longer. Correlation, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alexandra. Sorry I didn't reply earlier but I've been on holiday. Interesting to read about Ray Bradbury - not sure I want my dreams to be any more vivid, though, as my husband is long suffering enough when I describe about them in great detail in the morning!

      Delete